In honor of our favorite supernatural love triangle– or hexagon, depending on which team you’re rooting for– I thought I’d finally share a few notes on the Tarte for True Blood Palette. Before going into my review, let’s go into the nitty-gritty of what this palette includes:
– 17 Eyeshadows
- Taken from Sephora: The Light (shimmering warm ivory,) Fairy (shimmering pink,) Dusk (matte warm taupe,) Dawn (shimmering gold dust,) Werewolf (matte chocolate,) Waitress (sparkling pink champagne,) Nocturnal (sparkling deep indigo,) Charmer (sparkling burnt copper,) Glamour Me (sparkling deep plum,) Stake (matte steel,) Bayou (shimmering golden tan,) Telepath (sparkling warm rose,) The True Death (sparkling silver,) Immortal (sparkling midnight black,) Moss (shimmering forest green,) Legend (deep matte black,) “V” (sparkling crimson)
– True Blood EmphasEYES Aqua-Gel Eyeliner in Black
– True Blood Lights, Camera, Lashes! Mascara in Black
– True Blood Lifted Natural Eye Primer
I’m far from an avid make-up wearer; in fact, I’d gladly go au natural for a no-fuss, extra-thirty-minutes-of-sleep morning. This palette, however, quickly made me come around. Here’s my standard daytime color combination (always start off with a primer base, ladies:)
– Dawn swept over the entire underbrow and lid
– Charmer blended onto the lid and heavy along) the crease
– The Light swept just under the eyebrow and blended into the inner eye as a highlight.
I always follow with black eyeliner and maybe mascara if I’m really looking to primp. I’ve got a long way to go as far as experimentation goes, but the earth tones really set the bar pretty high. So, what about the extras? Good question.
True Blood Lifted Natural Eye Primer: This formula is relatively thick compared to Urban Decay’s Primer Potion, which makes it a bit more difficult to spread over the lid. The coloration is a standard nude, which is a shade (or two) lighter than my natural skin color. Once applied, it creates an added highlighting effect. Firmitol is incorporated into this primer, which is supposed to decrease the appearance of wrinkles. I did not notice a significant difference. Overall, I’m sticking to Urban Decay’s Primer Potion for its more fluid consistency.
True Blood EmphasEYES Aqua-Gel Eyeliner in Black: I absolutely HATE this product. At first application, the liner literally crumbled on my lids, creating a look worthy of having been applied in middle of an earthquake. I’m used to cream-based eyeliner that goes on smoothly, without tugging. When applying this, it feels like liquid eyeliner, and sets rather quickly. I simply could not figure out how to use it correctly, and out of sheer frustration I decided to finally look up user comments on the Sephora website. To use it successfully, you need to ensure that only a half-millimeter is poking out. This is a major design and formula drawback that obviously did not get addressed at the lab. Its only decent attribute is that it is highly pigmented; unfortunately, this is just not good enough in my book. Too soft. Vamps don’t do soft. What self-respecting vamp would?! (Twilight references may apply.)
True Blood Lights, Camera, Lashes! Mascara in Black: Usually, I cannot tell the difference between mascaras; they’re all the same to me. Longer this, volume that, de-clumping magic, every cosmetics company claims to have created the next great chemical concoction. It’s a tad too tedious for my taste, but I will say that my biggest gripe is flaked mascara on my face at the end of the day . Tarte’s mascara has an even, and smooth consistency that stays impressively smooth even when dry. I don’t encounter gross, dry flakes on my cheeks, so that alone merits my recommendation.
Wearing True Blood Lifted Natural Eye Primer, Dawn, “V”, The Light, Dusk , and True Blood EmphasEYES Aqua-Gel Eyeliner in the photos above.
I know that was all a mouth-full up there, but despite the drawbacks of the miniature eye extras, the color palette itself is worth the $52. Your inner vamp, werewolf, fairy, shifter (or any other non-human variant you associate with) will adore you for it.